PLEASE NOTE: THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE OLDER GENERATION CALYPSO ULTRASONIC THAT CONTAINS A COMPASS. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE SPECIFIC TO MARKSETBOT USERS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED BY ANYONE ELSE (THEY WILL DAMAGE THE LATEST HARDWARE).
If you bought a Calypso Ultra to use with your MarkSetBot, it is essential that you upgrade the firmware and calibrate/swing the Calypso Ultra wind instrument's compass. Both tasks are fairly technical.
Calypso has an app that you can use to test the device. The app is named "Anemotracker" and is in the iOS and Google Play store. By default, the compass is not enabled in the Anemotracker app. If you want to test the compass, you need to enable the Compass from the settings menu. As of 11/7/2018, the Anemotracker app does not report true wind direction. It reports magnetic heading and wind angle. The good news is that the MarkSetBot is able to handle that calculation and does report True Wind Direction.
The compass must be calibrated before it will work well. The Anemotracker app has a compass calibration/swing feature. For calibration to work correctly, the Refresh rate needs to be set to 1Hz from 4Hz during calibration. We are hoping that Calypso will build that in to their app automatically in the future.
If you have trouble getting the calibration to work, you should use the steps in the MANUAL PROCESS section below.
It is critical that you calibrate in an area that does not have magnetic interference. This is more difficult than you would think. It is recommended that you take a hand bearing compass and walk around a space to make sure it reports correctly. We have found many docks and hoist areas at clubs have so much interference that they will report 90 degrees wrong with a hand bearing compass.
The MarkSetBot app reads the same data that the Anemotracker app does. So, you need to make sure that the compass data stream is good in Anemotracker before trying to use it via the MarkSetBot app.
If you are having trouble viewing the speed and direction graphs in the app, we have seen a few isolated problems with the data set of wind data that is sent being blocked by Android on the phone inside the bot. This has happened on a couple Nexus 5X phones. Reinstalling the Android OS and rooting the phone again has solved the problem. It is unclear exactly what is causing the problem. Reach out to support to get links to the reinstall the OS and to root the device. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR GRAPHS AREN'T WORKING IN THE APP CORRECTLY
To complete a calibration at this point, you need to download the nRF Connect app from the store.
The rest of the steps are a bit technical. Reach out to MSB support if you need help.
- Open nRF Connect
- Connect to "Ultrasonic"
- Cick on 0x180D (should be the last service)
- Set 0000a002 to 0x01 (1Hz)
- Set 0000a003 to 0x01 (Compass on)
- Set 0000a008 to 0x01 (Calibrate on)
- Spin counter clockwise three times slowly on a level table (make sure you are at least several feet away from magnetic sources like your laptop)
- Set 0000a008 to 0x00 (Calibrate off)
The main download site is https://calypsoinstruments.com/firmwareupdate. We also have the latest files below.
NOTE: As of 6/29/2021, there is a bug in the stock .66 firmware on the wired Ultrasonic units. Attached to this article is the Rigado Toolbox, BIN file, and full user manual. Calypso is planning to release new public firmware in the next couple weeks
- If paired to the MarkSetBot Bot Phone or Anemotracker app, fully kill that app
- Download .BIN file to your Android phone
- Download, install and open the Rigado Toolbox App to your Android phone
- Select the correct Ultrasonic
- Select "FIRMWARE UPDATE"
- Select "Firmware Image File" and pick the .bin file
- Select "Activation Characteristic" - A pop-up window will appear on the main screen - select the second option and find characteristic that starts with "0000A00A"
- Select "Activation Command" and input "01"
- Press "BEGIN FIRMWARE UPDATE"
- A new window will appear with the progress. This takes around 2 minutes. When the process is completed, a pop-up window will appear indicating the completed update and requesting the Bluetooth reset.
- Select “RESET BLUETOOTH”